7 Februrary 2019 – Term 1 – Week 2
Tēnā koutou e aku rangatira,
Tēnā koutou i runga i ngā moemoeā me ngā tumanako o te tau hōu. Ka tangihia, ka mihia, ka poroporoakitia ki ngā mate huhua kua wheturangitia. Haere atu rā, moe mai, okioki e. Kāti ngā pitopito kōrero mo rātou mā, kei te mihi, kei te mihi, kei te mihi.
We sincerely hope that all of our whānau have had a great break with friends and family and we welcome everyone back to a very positive year at Allandale School. We’ve had a wonderful start to the new year with lots of happy children re-uniting with their friends and getting to know their teachers. We’ve had a large number of new enrolments to start the school year and were pleased to welcome so many new faces at our pōwhiri last week!
This year, Allandale School will be focused on MANA – the specialness and uniqueness possessed by every person, every place, and everything. That mana is very important and is deserving of respect. We will be concentrating on respecting ourselves, our peers, and our place – Kind to Myself, Kind to Others and Kind to the Environment. Obviously we will still strive to be the Learning Kind, the Achieving Kind and the Community Kind, but with these first three in place the last three will come much more easily.
Allandale School has been tasked with recognising and building the mana of our students, our families, and our space throughout 2019 and we invite everyone to share this goal! Who are the members of your family/whānau? What is your connection to Aotearoa New Zealand, our local community, and our school? What are your gifts and how do you share them? We invite you to share your mana with us in order to help us build the mana of our students, our families, and our community.
We really appreciate the way you have prepared your children for a successful school year. Our tamariki have arrived in correct school uniform and have their stationery and their hats. Swimming has begun, so please remember to send togs and towels.
Please keep this handy so you can support us in your child’s learning partnership.
- that your child has correct school uniform – our blue and gold is a source of pride, and is compulsory at Allandale School;
- that this uniform includes an unbranded navy blue hat to be worn at school every day in Term 1 and Term 4;
- that, if your child/ren are going to be absent from school for any reason, you please phone 3087645 and report the absence on the answer phone before 9am – alternatively, you can text the school on 021 02501768;
- that your child has breakfast every school morning – remember we do have a breakfast club available;
- that your child has a healthy snack for morning tea (from 10.15 – 10.20 each morning children have ‘brain food’ in their classrooms – if they forget their morning tea, classroom teachers have snacks available supplied by Kids Can Trust);
- that your child has water to drink at school (1/3 fill a drink bottle and put it in the freezer over night for a refreshing drink the next day). We have chilled water available from the central wonderland drinking fountain;
- that the school has correct, up-to-date contact information;
- that you pay the school fee donation to the school office as soon as you can:
- $50.00 child ($12.50 per term)
- $80.00 family ($20.00 per term);
- that your child has a healthy lunch and a bag or lunch box to carry it in (a bread bag or ice cream container is just fine);
- that, if you require the school to medicate your child/children, the appropriate authorising form is completed at the office so that office staff can administer;
- that children are allowed to bike to Allandale School, but they must be on a safe bike, with a helmet and know the road rules;
- that your child has their togs, towel and a bag to put them in each day their class has swimming (each class swims 3 times per week).
and just a reminder that:
- the gate at the front of the school will be chained from 8:15-8:45 each morning and from 2:30-3:00 each afternoon. The gate is closed in order to ensure the safety of our students coming and going from school and will not be opened for anyone during these times;
- Allandale School rules require all students with wheels under themselves (scooters, bikes, skateboards, heelies, rollerskates, etc) during school hours to have a helmet on their head. Students without a helmet will be asked to put their wheels away while they are at school;
- there is a Staff meeting Tuesday after school. Teachers will not be available at this time to meet at this time;
- there is a Leadership Team meeting Monday after school, involving Mrs Tania Doherty, Ms Katrina Black, Whāea Ashton Thrupp, Mrs Wendy Adamson, Mrs Adrianne McAllister, Whāea Deanna Gulliver, and Mr Drew Manning. At this time these staff members will not be available to meet. The best idea is to phone the school office and make an appointment.
MEET THE STAFF BBQ
All are invited to fill up your picnic baskets and come out to the school on Thursday 21st February starting at 5:30pm to meet our staff for 2019. Our new BBQs in the Community Garden will be available to cook your food, and we will have games and swimming. This is an important opportunity to meet your child’s teacher, and to get to know the rest of the Allandale community! All are encouraged to attend!
There are heaps of sporting opportunities for our children in our district. We would love to be involved in everything that’s going but will need parent support. If you are able to prepare some children for a particular sport we’d love to hear from you so we can give our children every opportunity going. Please contact the school office if you are able to assist!
CHINESE LANGUAGE CLASSES
We are co-hosting a Chinese intern with St Joseph’s School again this year. This will be a great opportunity for many of our students. We are also looking into the possibility of conducting night classes in Mandarin for adults. More information will be provided next week.
Does anyone out there have any spare swimming gear/togs for our forgetful tamariki. If you have any swimwear that no longer fits your children or are spare please bring to Room 9 or drop into the School Office. Thank you Ms.G.
UPCOMING SPORTS EVENTS
February 20 Inter-School Cycle Challenge at Apanui
February 27 EBOP Touch Rugby Competition
March 4 Allandale Swimming Sp
March 8 Postponement day for Swimming Sports
March 11 Inter-School Swimming Sports
March 12 Kiorahi Tournament
March 13 Postponement day for Inter-School Swimming Sports
March 20 EBOP Swimming Sports
TERM DATES 2019
Term 1 January30 – April 12
Term 2 April 29 – July 5
Term 3 July 22 – September 27
Term 4 October 14 – December 18
Senior Team Leader – Whāea Ashton Thrupp
Pōhutakawa 1 – Whāea Ashton Thrupp
Tōtara 2 – Ms Hailey McLean
Rimu 3 – Whāea Debbie Hughes
Kāhikatea 4 – Whāea Tina Rangi
Middle Team Leader – Ms Katrina Black
Kōkako 5 – Mr Warwick Paterson
Kārearea 6 – Ms Katrina Black
Kereru 9 – Mrs Janene Giordano and Mrs Sharon Benson
Kōtare 10 – Mrs Mamta Naik
Junior Team Leader – Ms Wendy Adamson
Kihikihi 17 – Mrs Andrea Whiteman
Pūrerehua 18 – Ms Marilyn van de Laar
Pepeke 19 – Ms Wendy Adamson
Reo Rua/Bilingual Team Leader – Whāea Deanna Gulliver
Pūkeko 11 – Whāea Te Rumate Mahutoto
Kauri 12 – Whāea Deanna Gulliver
Kapokapowai 13 – Whāea Moana Wilson
Māwhitiwhiti 14 – Whāea Maia Connor
Literacy Support – Mrs Teresa Stewart
Office Manager – Mrs Josie Soppit
Human Resources Administrator – Mrs Kathy Munn
Pastoral Care Administrator – Mrs Kleesha Camburn
– Renee Martin
– Sharon Smith
– Tracey Watson
– Teresa Hoefsloot
– Vanessa Thomas
– Amy Pitkethley
– Rachel Townsend
Kaiāwhina – Hine Savage
Librarian – Karen Searle
Caretaker – Davis Turanga
(07) 3087645 School