While Allandale School’s welcoming pōwhiri, an amazing camp for our Middle Team, and the kickoff of Winter Sports have gotten Term 2 off to a busy start, classroom routines are returning to normal and students are making the most of their learning time once again.
The start of a new Term is a good time to share important information with our new families, and remind whānau of how they can best support Allandale School in your child’s learning partnership.
- that your child has correct school uniform – our blue and gold is a source of pride, and is compulsory at Allandale School;
- that this uniform includes an unbranded navy blue hat to be worn at school every day in Term 1 and Term 4;
- that, if your child/ren are going to be absent from school for any reason, you please phone 3087645 and report the absence on the answer phone before 9am – alternatively, you can text the school on 021 02501768;
- that your child has breakfast every school morning – remember we do have a breakfast club available;
- that your child has a healthy snack for morning tea (from 10.15 – 10.20 each morning children have ‘brain food’ in their classrooms – if they forget their morning tea, classroom teachers have snacks available supplied by Kids Can Trust);
- that your child has water to drink at school (1/3 fill a drink bottle and put it in the freezer over night for a refreshing drink the next day). We also have chilled water available from our drinking fountains;
- that the school has correct, up-to-date contact information;
- that you pay the school fee donation to the school office as soon as you can:
$50.00 child ($12.50 per term)
$80.00 family ($20.00 per term);
- that your child has a healthy lunch and a bag or lunch box to carry it in (a bread bag or ice cream container is just fine);
- that, if you require the school to medicate your child/children, the appropriate authorising form is completed at the office so that office staff can administer;
- that children are allowed to bike to Allandale School, but they must be on a safe bike, with a helmet and know the road rules;
- that your child has their togs, towel and a bag to put them in each day their class has swimming (each class swims 3 times per week).
and just a reminder that:
- the gate at the front of the school will be chained from 8:15-8:45 each morning and from 2:30-3:00 each afternoon. The gate is closed in order to ensure the safety of our students coming and going from school and will not be opened for anyone during these times;
- Allandale School rules require all students with wheels under themselves (scooters, bikes, skateboards, heelies, rollerskates, etc) during school hours to have a helmet on their head. Students without a helmet will be asked to put their wheels away while they are at school;
- there is a Staff meeting Tuesday after school. Teachers will not be available at this time to meet at this time;
- there is a Leadership Team meeting Monday after school, involving Mrs Tania Doherty, Ms Katrina Black, Whāea Ashton Thrupp, Mrs Wendy Adamson, Mrs Adrianne McAllister, Whāea Deanna Gulliver, and Mr Drew Manning. At this time these staff members will not be available to meet. The best idea is to phone the school office and make an appointment.
MUFTI DAY FUNDRAISER
Tomorrow (Friday, May 10th), Allandale School will be holding a special mufti day to help raise funds to support Riding for the Disabled. This worthwhile organisation offers therapeutic horseback riding sessions for tamariki living with physical, emotional, intellectual and social challenges. Tamariki are asked to please bring in a gold coin donation. The class that raises the most money will win a free horseback riding experience!
BOARD OF TRUSTEES ELECTION
With the 2019 Board of Trustees election at the end of the month, all members of our community are encouraged to “make a difference for our school” and become a trustee. Trustees are active leaders in our school and we need more people willing to use their skills and experiences for the benefit of our tamariki. Trustees have an important role supporting strong professional leadership and effective teaching for all students through informed governance.
Nominations are now open for the 2019 Board of Trustees election, and nomination forms have been mailed to all eligible families. If you are interested in putting your name forward for the election, I encourage you to go to www.nzsta.org.nz for more information and to watch for School Trustee Election notices over the next few weeks. Nominations close on Friday, 24 May.
SCHOOL TRUSTEE ELECTIONS:
The timeline for the election is:
Nomination forms will be posted by 10 May 2019
Nominations close at noon on 24 May 2019.
A voting paper will be posted to you by 29 May 2019.
Voting closes at noon on 7 June 2019.
Votes are counted on 13 June 2019.
Kleesha Camburn, Returning Officer
UPCOMING EVENTS –
May 31 Teacher Only Day – School Closed
June 3 Queen’s Birthday
July 5 Last Day of Term 2